I arrived a little too late to the party last Me Made May and certainly didn’t have enough wearable every day clothes in my handmade wardrobe to participate fully.
This year, however, I am embracing the challenge of wearing handmade clothes whenever possible throughout this month. When I first started sewing, I would make occasion wear and party dresses which hardly ever saw the light of day, but since last year, I have made an effort to make items that really are wearable in every day life. This has also meant that I have spent hardly any money on ready to wear clothes.
The MMMay challenge has also inspired me to work on a few new outfits and finish some items that have been hanging around the sewing room for quite a while. I seem to have spent every spare minute this week sewing and I can’t tell you how happy that has made me.
I have finished my cropped trousers, altered a couple of necklines to make things a bit more wearable and made a bag, my third moneta dress and my first ever pair of jeans! The ginger jeans pattern by Close Case Files is really easy to follow and I am really happy with how they have turned out. I just need to add the belt loops and rivets but it is late and both these activities require a hammer and I’m not too sure my neighbours would appreciate that right now! More to follow on these soon.
MMMay has also meant that I have dusted off a few handmade items that I had almost forgotten about. There may have one or two trips to the fabric shop too for some new projects.
Week One has included the following me made items:
- 1st May – I had to skip this day as I was staying in London for a meeting and had completely forgotten it was May already!
- 2nd May – dove grey Moneta dress by Collette Patterns
- 3rd May – strawberry Belcarra blouse by Sewaholic (which I even adjusted during the day as the neckline didn’t sit right)
- 4th May – blue chambray Matilda blouse by Tilly and the Buttons (featuring pink satin bias binding and pink buttons)
- 5th May – brown Zinnia skirt by Collette Patterns
- 6th May – patterned Moneta dress by Collette Patterns (only made this week)
- 7th May – white yoga pants – pattern by me! I also have my handmade elephant bag in this picture.
Now, if only the weather would cheer up a bit, maybe some of my summer dresses will get an outing!