June’s Sew My Style Pattern is the Robe by Helen’s Closet. I’ve been looking forward to making this one for a while and it is on my 2018 Make Nine list too so it’s been good to get this one made.
I recently posted about all of the lovely drapey fabrics that I had recently got into the shop, and it meant I had quite the dilemma when honing in on which fabric to choose for my robe.
In the end I narrowed it down to this gorgeous turquoise viscose Lady McElroy fabric called Blossom Reflections. I think the Japanese style and colour combination are perfect for a robe.
I decided to make mine as more of a daytime cover up, rather than a robe, as I don’t already have anything of that nature in my wardrobe. I also love the look of a robe worn over a vest and jeans or shorts.
I used the hack on Helen’s blog to transform the original pattern into the cover up. It basically involves straightening out and narrowing the front pattern piece and extending the front band to full length.
It all came together pretty quickly, with only a couple of minor errors on my part. Namely, I didn’t see that the sleeve pattern piece wasn’t unfolded completely so I had to go back and recut them! Also, I didn’t lengthen the front band piece enough so had to shorten it, but I am actually pleased with the finished length so it’s all good! The only slight flaw in my plan was that it meant that the pockets hung down a little at times, so I fixed that by securing them to the front band seam allowance.
Overall, I am really pleased with it and hope to get a lot of wear out of it this summer.
I would like to and make the dressing gown version at some point, but I’m going to try and find a lovely silk for that.
I’m really looking forward to seeing everyone else’s versions!